Friday 19 December 2014

Nightcrawler

It's Friday night and I've been home a week and am already getting a little fed up of being a broke student and having to again sponge off of my parents. So with no interest in spending the little money I still need to buy useless Christmas presents, and with my boyfriend having left for a night out with his friends, I have finally gotten round to watching Nightcrawler... and I'm not going to go into how I sourced it.


Basically I'm having a night in and have wound up watching a very popular contender (in my opinion) for the 'Best Actor Oscar.' I mean really, Jake Gyllenhaal plays a scumbag to the nines!
I have never paid more attention to a character's eyes than I did throughout this thriller, if I had enough energy or any motivation at all I would like to go back and count the little number of times he blinks. 
Sad.
I would like to state before I fully get into it, that I had very high hopes for this film. From the many times I ended up watching the trailer alone, I knew I needed to see this film whilst it was in cinemas... But low and behold, I didn't. No one ever wants to come and see the important films with me. So I thought that this film was going to be one of the best of 2014 if not the only good film of it.
However y'know... there was Gone Girl, Interstellar and countless others.

I want to start off with stating that the film jumps straight into everything it promises, there is some lagging I have to note. However not as much as you may feel there would usually be in a film like this. You are introduced to the film having a certain air of it being related to a comic book. The basic intro and ending shots alone state this, they are both just the same exact shot of the moon from the same angle and presumably from the same location. 
So what I take from this is that he goes out to set up another lot of stories such as the one he had just played out... the protagonist is a creature of sociopathic tendencies I feel. He turns a blind uncaring eye to the deaths and injuries he views first-hand throughout the movie, the mere man's power he obtains is from selling death... basically.
From this basis alone I enjoyed it, the idea that one profession can take over one person, shows that someone who is such dire need of a profession to make him feel important. Fluent creative ideas in my book.

Nightcrawler is a film which sits well with me as a storyline, I do enjoy films where we see the protagonist break emotionally. We do see this, it is also portrays the character as this wreck before anything fully starts, however  from this I didn't feel that we had a lot of an escalation of emotion. 

I'm unsure. The film was enjoyable, gripping and indeed thrilling to say the least. Several different scenes put me on the edge of my seat and an ending which surprised me did please me. In some ways though it could be argued that Jake Gyllenhaal did carry the film, maybe he made the role his own. I rarely hear people rave about it though, maybe it's me getting into a film too late (as per usual) or Interstellar taking over the world like Gravity did. 

I was pleased to see Gyllenhaal in a serious role yet again, the man belongs in roles like this and Donnie Darko. I am to this day unsure why people hate him and am too lazy to read into it if I'm honest. Maybe one I will try and educate myself. 
All I know at the moment is that he is indeed a very good actor, and this is indeed a good film. I just wish I saw it in the cinema in order to feel the full effect of it.
I'm in an odd position because as much as I liked the film, I feel that maybe I didn't like it as much as I thought I would or wanted to... So I feel undecided about the whole movie.

I think I built it up in my mind incredibly...
People need to stop me from doing this.
Oh yeah the protagonist is a actually a disgusting human being, he blackmails his employer into to sleeping with him... yeah.

Nightcrawler has a delicate character here and however does not really make him that charming.
I could see how it might have gone about doing it. 
In my opinion, yes do watch it... but do not build it up in your mind from the trailer.
Just learn from me!

No comments:

Post a Comment