Thursday 2 April 2015

It Follows.

To start off... basically I was scared to my core at certain parts. Yes, It Follows made way for a couple of sleepless nights, which I may have just shaken off a few weeks ago... No judging please.


Soundtrack = amazing.
Literally, it is pretty much a homage to Halloween and it just kept getting better and better. Although it was used in the conventional system for jump frights alone, It Follows took this and ran with it. I don't know if I can describe it very well, but this film took the concept of music within a horror film and made it its own. It was more than just a tactic of scaring you when combined with the imagery... it was just very enjoyable to listen to between scary sequences.

So you would think that I liked this film... and I did. Yet, with modern horror films I have a tendency to give them quite a wide berth, due to me being a scaredy cat on occasion. You're looking at someone who spends her time watching outdated and old horror films which have been or already are on the road to Hollywood makeovers. E.g. The Evil Dead.

It Follows enters the life of Jay Height. The protagonist's latest date ends with her and said date having sex in his car. This ends badly due to the sexual act having passed on a supernatural being which peruses Jay from then on. It Follows rides with Jay as her life is suddenly under threat from something or someone only she can see.
So if Jay stops to tackle her stalkers who take on different people, from strangers to her loved ones, it will kills her.
Essentially we've discovered the world of a more Indie horror film with this one. I'm unsure of the paths taken to attain the Indie genre spin on a horror film, but somehow director David Robert Mitchell achieves it. It Follows mainly uses the somewhat grungy Generation X looking suburban America as the setting, focussing on the main characters being a young cast with typical care-free attitudes. With a relatively unrecognisable cast to start, It Follows promises to certainly take a direction which happens rarely with mainstream horror films.
If you're up for watching It Follows, I suggest you wear a jumper or coat or cardigan... something to bite into or cover your eyes with, while you wait for the one most single unpredictable jump scares which will actually chill you to your bone. I'm not being over dramatic... this scare concerns I think the third or fourth being to follow Jay. Okay, you'll just know it when you see it.

If you're a Film student like me and sometimes like to interpret a film such as this one; during some research into It Follows you'll come across what all the critics and theorists think. So as a heads up there's an oddly rounded theory, where it's believed that the 'thing' which follows its victims is a parable for sexually transmitted diseases... Well it's always open to suggestions, but this to me seems a  desperate grab for something which seems to be the most reasonable.
After you've taken some time to study Experimental Film, It Follows seemed to be less desirable to be questioned.
Just let it be, it's a dream based film which doesn't need to give you an explanation full stop.
Literally do not try and think into the ending, it's a nicer yet still somewhat disturbing finale which does leave you with no explanation of what exactly the 'thing' is... or indeed whether or not it does ever leave our character(s) alone.

I would state here and now that if you are looking for something which resembles the works of  John Hughes, Todd Solondz and Stephen King, then definitely take a trip to watch It Follows in the cinema.
Trust me it's worth the money if you're in the mood for a scare.
I'm telling you to spend money on seeing it and I'm a broke student.

It Follows will absolutely be making it to my best films of 2015 list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment