Thursday 11 August 2016

Suicide Squad

Why does everyone hate it so much? I quite liked it, I was settling in ready for a let down due to all the relatively negative reviews, but well pleasantly surprised. 
But so, I can understand why it didn't live up to the trailer, I suppose most people got the image of it being a serious film with elements of humour... not injected with the cheese I was met with. But it's lucky that I can handle a certain amount of cheese within a film. 
I realise I'm not making much sense, but neither does much of the film...


So, let's start off with it's mainly the fact that likeable characters are carrying the film throughout, I wouldn't say that the storyline is particularly amazing, as well as the directing job. David Ayers has done well, just to the point of making sure the film echoes the fact that it is in fact based on a comic book. Maybe most audiences forgot that fact, I dunno.
It's enjoyable for the most part however, it's fast-paced to point where I guess you could say it feels a little rushed at some parts. And you've got to give it to this take on antiheroes - this is one reasonably multicultural gang.

Will Smith and Margot Robbie take over the show overall, as Deadshot and Harley Quinn. Afterall we were expecting a good performance from Robbie, but I would say we got a pretty freaking great one. Other than that you'll find Captain Boomerang funny, El Diablo and Killer Croc both quite lovable in a strange way and Katana isn't given anything but a background role of  'helper'. However Viola Davis is always as good as ever, there's no two ways about it, just her presence on screen gives me life.
People who could have done better begins with Cara Delevinge, supposedly she didn't ruin the film by her hand alone, but one of the ending scenes of the Enchantress downfall made up my mind that this woman is not a good actress, She's okay... but not good. And um, I hate to say this but... I didn't really enjoy Jared Leto's Joker. Not as much as I thought I would anyway, I suppose the hype built around the whole film has let some people, fans and non-fans, down to a certain degree. The Joker is a hard role, like c'mon he was taking on a lot with it. But the promises were made and not delivered as smooth as would have liked. He seemed very awkward throughout it all, like the persona was so totally under his control that he had to force out the crazy. 
Let's just say that Margot Robbie made crazy look easy, whereas Jared Leto made me feel uncomfortable but not the right way. And also, let's face it, there's only ever going to be Heath Ledger's live action, and Mark Hamill's voice to put he shame in the Joker category. 

But here's the once part which left a bad taste in my mouth, Enchantress was so boring and over-animated it made my head hurt. Now I'm no fan of the Suicide Squad comics or their place within the DC universe, I haven't got a lot of knowledge about them, and that probably doesn't help int he way of anyone reading this sub-par review. But I came away from the cinema reasoning the choice of a fucking witch being used as the enemy. I assume her character is the same in the comics, but think of it this way if you can't get your head around the absurdness of a group of bad guys fighting against a witch. The film would've found it hard for the essential 'bad guys' to be fighting for the greater good against Superman or Batman. With the Suicide Squad joining forces with the army, it had to be an object with unnatural force for them to want to fight to save the city. 
Does that make sense?
No, none of this really does, I know. This was a hard film to review.

At the end of the day, don't come into the cinema with a mind set on what you saw in the trailer, there's a lot to the film which you won't see in the way of storyline and will probably take you by surprise if you enter with your mindset in the way of a serious superhero film. It's a comedy, with action in it, try to take your mind away from the fact that there's alien-like creatures used as an army against the protagonists and an actual witch as the force of evil.  
I would advise to go in with limited high hopes, because you will be surprised for the better. Things you will take away from Suicide Squad is the enjoyable characters, and the fact that Ben Affleck's Batman has only about 20 seconds of time on screen. 
However it has a pretty great soundtrack, songs I haven't listened to since I was 17 and attempting to write my own graphic novel...
*Ted Mosby voice* - But more on that later. 

I'm joking, no one will ever want to make my graphic novel, because I am too lazy to write anything further than these lame reviews and a couple of essays for uni... 
God help me this dissertation year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment