Saturday 30 January 2016

The Revenant


First off, this film struck a cord with me due to frankly boredom and depression sending me into a pit of binge watching various documentaries. Some of these docs being about Native Americans, so I've been educating myself on the life in America before the white man entered. 
The Revenant may or may not be on the better end of how Native Americans are represented in the media. 
(Do not get me started on Pocahontas).
(Especially after days on end discussing it back and forth in my Animation essay... now that was a rocky road).



Basically, Leo is great in it... but I'll be the one to say it... TOM HARDY WAS BETTER! There we go, someone had to bring it up.
Let's face it, Tom Hardy is amazing at anything at the moment. Bane, Mad Max, Kray Twins, I feel that he's not going to blow over any time soon.
Hardy's performance, for me, outshone DiCaprio's perhaps. I want to make it clear though that Leo should get the Oscar, only so everyone WILL SHUT THE HELL UP ABOUT IT!
Just let the meme die people.

In The Revenant we see a lot happen within the opening, and trust me it's gruesome but awesome. And also there's a cool bear. And loads of death. And revenge. My type of film really. Director - Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, I have to say has the most amazing vision. His take on filmmaking to me seems so unique, I for one haven't seen anything like his work before. Birdman shares many similar aspects as The Revenant, and yes I did love it.
I loved this film to a degree that I would say it should win Best Picture.
And that's a given and everything, but it does deserve it.
Inarritu should ave won more for Birdman in my opinion.
I say all of this and yet I've only watched half of Birdman, and nothing other than that and The Revenant... I appear to have not watched any of his other works....

Just watch the film, and then not watch it again for a very long time, so you can appreciate it better.
This 'review' has been pointless and unhelpful.
I am sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment