Saturday 5 March 2016

Spotlight

It's good... like really good.
Underrated even.




Why did it take me so long to publish this I'll never be fully sure... being a student is hard when you rarely get out of bed each day.

Spotlight tells the infamous story of exposing paedophilia in the catholic church, basically. I remember how big this situation was when it came out when I was younger. I didn't fully understand much of it, but I knew that it scared me. The unveiling of the catholic church's seedy underbelly in America is demonstrated with respect in Spotlight - and by that I mean towards victims and survivors.
We see a straight-faced Michael Keaton do a pleasing job as usual, as manager of getting the truth out. Keaton's team of co-stars reflect his talent just as well, the acting you will witness only adds to this film. What I am impressed with is that this delicate story is in no way glamorised, nor is this film a thriller, nor mystery... it tells the truth essentially.

Without becoming a documentary, the utmost respect is taken when telling the stories of the survivors. Spotlight also ensures that they are heard, however still shows that sexual harassment within the Catholic still occurs to this day. The fact that it took so long for the original story to be brought to light is portrayed perfectly thanks to director Tom McCarthy.

I realise that Spotlight is probably well on its way out of cinemas right now, but it is worth buying... and that's quite rare for me to claim those standards.
Mark Ruffalo outdoes himself as portraying the fire within the a force who is met with troubles of getting the truth out.
Rachel McAdams also shines through as our main female character, her acting more subtle than that of Ruffalo, however just as effective.

Spotlight will open your eyes to just what survivors went through, as well as how long it took for their stories to be heard.
An upsetting story, but one which needs to be told.
I am very glad it won at least one Oscar this season, the filmography is very pleasing if I do say so,


In other news, I shall be writing for FilmDebate as part of my work experience and as a chance for me to stretch my writing skills.
It is quite exciting for me actually, seeing as I'm going to be graded at the end of the day for doing something I love to do in my spare time.
It won't be me reviewing films however, but with hope my first article will be on my favourite female led films.
So if you like the theme of compilation, then take a trip over to http://filmdebate.co.uk/ and attempt to find my material soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment