Sunday 18 December 2016

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them

Basically this is coming out very late because I am useless and have no self motivation.
I liked this film more than I thought I would.

Image result for fantastic beasts and where to find them

For what it's worth I like this fashion of spin offs which are coming thick and fast. Don't really know why, I think we all agree that the well of filmmaking is becoming more and more dry, and this is a nice way to tide audiences over until a new wave of originality comes. Now that's what I call sounding pretentious,

Anyway, this film took me by surprise, I didn't even really want to go to the cinema to see it, but I did and I would have regretted it a little if I hadn't.
Although there's no two ways about it, Eddie Redmayne grates on me and I'm too sure why.
Maybe because the last few films he starred in included him playing a disabled man and a trans woman - two things which he isn't. I do think straight actors should stop being praised for playing members of the LGBTQ community. Like, there's so many gay and trans actors on this earth...
But yet, I didn't hate him so much in Fantastic Beasts. I'm pretty sure he did a good job of playing a grown ass bumbling man who always looks like a schoolboy who has been caught doing something he shouldn't be doing. But all in all fair dos to him for pulling off such a character who is likeable and yet somewhat unlikeable all at the same time.

To me Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them was totally alike with Harry Potter films, and yet not alike with them as well. I like that this film is set against an unsettled wizarding world, and yet we don't have to endure some acting from Daniel Radcliffe - FYI, I don't actually hate all young posh British actors. Katherine Waterston did a very good job as Redmayne's maybe almost love interest, but more importantly a witch looking to redeem herself in her line of work at the Magical Congress.
So basically, Eddie Redmayne has good intentions on releasing a wild magical beast back into its natural habitat, but all hell breaks loose and he lets all of his collection out. Which means he must collect them all before New York is torn apart. Cue to an enjoyable main storyline. But yet something darker occurs, and that really is basically the best part about the film - Ezra Miller playing yet again another moody and self destructive teenager takes the prize for what I liked most about this film

However the real winner overall here is the actor of Dan Fogler - such a pure character.

No comments:

Post a Comment