Sunday 18 December 2016

Moana

Before seeing this film I wasn't having the cheeriest of days, what with all that stress and worrying I tend to do on a daily basis lately over just about everything, and then not doing anything to resolve the stressing and worrying, a Disney film was really just what I needed to take me away from that mess I call a life,

Image result for moana

So, Moana is quite a nice film. I enjoy Disney trying to make films which include other cultures, I admit that they usually don't pull it off incredibly well, but every once in a while I can let some things go and enjoy most Disney films.
What I like about this film is that Moana is not a princess, even though I do like a good princess movie as much as the next person, it was refreshing. Even though she was mainly listed to her tribe as the daughter of the chief, which is problematic in itself. BUT YET, she was in training to take over her father's role and become chief, so it's conflicting.

Dwayne The Rock Johnson is probably the most likeable part about this film, and he actually has a really good singing voice. Him being of Polynesian heritage makes it more enjoyable for some reason. Dwayne The Rock Johnson plays the character of Maui who has to be found by main character and totally not a princess Moana. In order to save her people and village from a curse put out onto their crops and fishing due to Maui being selfish and such for stealing the heart of Mother Nature for the tribe. Or something along those lines. So Moana has to meet the call of the ocean in order to save the tribe.
Ensue a lot of motivational songs and forced funny parts from her animal sidekick - again she has all the bearings of a Disney Princess, but heck she ain't got that label. There's even an inside joke from the character of Maui, a demigod, about Moana really being a princess due to her funny pet sidekick.

A very interesting and overall educational film, which doesn't let you forget that it's a Disney film. For the most part from what I can tell, Disney have done a good job of not mucking up a whole culture all together again.

No comments:

Post a Comment